Scripts?

During the filming process of City Day I engaged in a constant battle with myself on how to approach the issue of dialogue.  I've never been a person of writing out scripts mostly because you can't expect someone to act well when pretending to be someone else.  So on the second night of filming in which most of the dialogue occurred I told Alberto and Ramiro to wing it and if not I would provide the dialogue.  This actually ended up working perfectly because of the chemistry between the two actors.

Much like Joaquin and Rob, Ramiro and Alberto have both been best friends ever since fourth grade with personalities that completely clash with each other.  Ramiro tends to be very reserved and keep to himself while Alberto always wants to be doing something due to his highly energetic nature.  Knowing this, I told Ramiro to act as if Alberto actually were waking him up to go to Miami without all the cursing he normally would have used.  This led to a natural relationship being seen between the two characters on screen.

I'm going to be editing all of night 2 in one big chunk so I have yet to see how all the dialogue flows well, I also have recorded several different takes of the talking scenes meaning that I can adjust their conversation as seen fit.  If while editing there's a specific section that simply doesn't fit with the mood that is trying to be delivered, I will write out a script for it in order to be used on the 3rd filming session.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feedback Session

Font Decisions

Sound the Alarm